Declining A Share In Inheritance


A Marhoom’s son is from a previous marriage. If this son refuses to accept being part of the estate distribution, how should his portion be discharged then?


An heir does not have an option in terms of accepting or refusing his/her share of inheritance as these shares are ordained by Allah Taala and the inheritor inherits his/her share automatically.

However, an heir may dispose of his/her share of inheritance after taking possession of it as he wishes, whether by gifting it to one or all of the other heirs or by giving it out in charity.

Checked and Approved By:

Mufti Muhammed Saeed Motara Saheb D.B.


(رد المحتار 6/649) 

Purpose and Scope
The information provided on this website is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Fatawa provided on this website are context-dependent, scenario-specific and are impacted by interpretations and individual circumstances.
The information provided on this website is not a substitute for an independent, scenario-specific question, and must not be used to determine or establish a ruling for any other circumstance, situation or dispute.
Accuracy and Reliability
While Darul-Ifta - Darul Uloom Azaadville strives for accuracy, errors may occur. Users are encouraged to verify information independently and notify the Darul-Ifta of any discrepancies.
We reserve the right to edit, moderate or remove any content.
No Legal Authority
Fatawa provided on this website are not legal judgments but rather religious rulings. Legal matters should be addressed through appropriate legal channels.
By using this website, users agree to these terms and conditions.