• +27 11 413 2785/6

Selecting Guardians In A Will


I am busy with my will and I would like to know who can be selected as guardians for my 2 children ( current ages 12 and 8). 


In order for us to furnish a reply, it is important to know what you mean by the word “guardian”. Consider the following two terms of the Fuqaha (Jurists):

1. Wasi: A person selected as an executor of an estate to ensure that the estate be wound up and made to devolve upon all the heirs in an Islamic way and to take care of the needs of the deceased’s minor children. A Wasi can be anyone with the proviso that he/she is ‘Aqil (sane), Baaligh (reached maturity), Hur (free) and ‘Aadil (a Muslim who abstains from all forms of major sins).

2. Wali: An authorized Shar’i agent who has “Wilayah” (authority or guardianship) over the affairs of somebody else. The sequence of the Awliya in different aspects of Shar’iah is stipulated and fixed by Shari’ah with specific qualifications.

In the enquired scenario, we assume that you require a Wasi to wind up the estate and shoulder the responsibilities of your children, thus, you can select anyone to be your Wasi on condition that he/she qualifies for the post.

Checked and Approved By:

Mufti Muhammed Saeed Motara Saheb D.B.


در المختار مع رد المحتار ٣/ ٤ ٥ 

«معجم المصطلحات والألفاظ الفقهية ٢/٣ ٠ ٥ دار الفضيلة» 

Related Fatawa
Profits From A Business In An Undistributed Estate

Question When a man dies and he has a business. Now two of his sons run the business after his Read more

Heirs Gifting An Inherited House To Their Mother

Question "However an heir may dispose of his/her share of inheritance after taking possession of it as he/she wishes, whether Read more

Clothing, Shoes And Personal Items Forming Part Of The Estate

Question Does personal clothing items, shoes etc form part of the deceased estate? If so, how does one place value Read more

Delaying The Dissolution Of The Estate

Question What is the Shar’iah ruling regarding the amount of time a family has to wind up the estate? We Read more

Declining A Share In Inheritance

Question A Marhoom's son is from a previous marriage. If this son refuses to accept being part of the estate Read more

Darul Ifta - Darul Uloom Azaadville - Madrasah Arabia Islamia