What are the shariah rulings in light of (the Quraan and Ahadith) of appointing someone a muaddhin or someone who regularly calls to prayer (adhan) who is clean-shaven (without any beard) or short-tempered?
It is Waajib to keep a proper beard. To cut or trim the beard before it reaches a fist’s length or to cut or trim it shorter than a fist’s length (after having grown it long) is Haraam and a grave sin. Such a person is classified as a Faasiq (an open transgressor). The Adhaan and Iqaamat of a transgressor in the presence of a pious person is Makrooh-e-Tahreemi.
Some Qualities of a Muazzin
(1) He should be amongst the best of the community.
(2) He should be trustworthy since seeing that Adhaan is a trust.
(3) He should be an intelligent person.
(4) He should be a pious person.
(5) He should have the fear of Allah Ta’aala.
(6) He should be a person with knowledge who practices on his knowledge.
(7) He should be punctual with the Adhaan.
(8) He should be a person who has awe and authority.
(9) He should intend the pleasure of Allah Ta’aala when giving Adhaan.
(10) He should be a respected person in the community.
(11) He should have a loud voice.
(12) His pronunciation should be correct.
(13) He should know the Qiblah since seeing that Adhaan should be given facing the Qiblah.
(14) He should know the times of the Salaah.
(15) He should give the Adhaan with Wudhu.
Therefore, if his temper is of such a nature that any of the above qualities are adversely affected by it, such a person should not be appointed as a Mu’adhin especially when somebody else who fits the criteria can be appointed.
Checked and Approved By:
Mufti Muhammed Saeed Motara Saheb D.B.
بدائع الصنائع ج 1 ص 152-150 دار الكتب العلمية
فتاوی محمودیہ ج 1549 میر ٹھ