Giving Interest Funds To An Indebted Person


I have some interest money. Can I give it to my brother to settle a long outstanding debt? He is unable to settle the debt for a long time.


If your brother’s debts exceed the value of his assets (in the form of gold, silver, cash, investments, etc.) to the extent that he qualifies as a recipient of Zakaat (due to being indebted to creditors) then you may assist him with the interest funds to settle his debts.

However, the rule to remember is that whenever one gives interest funds to a needy person in order to assist him, the funds must be given to him without making an intention of accruing any rewards whatsoever.

Checked and Approved By:

Mufti Muhammed Saeed Motara Saheb D.B.

Purpose and Scope
The information provided on this website is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Fatawa provided on this website are context-dependent, scenario-specific and are impacted by interpretations and individual circumstances.
The information provided on this website is not a substitute for an independent, scenario-specific question, and must not be used to determine or establish a ruling for any other circumstance, situation or dispute.
Accuracy and Reliability
While Darul-Ifta - Darul Uloom Azaadville strives for accuracy, errors may occur. Users are encouraged to verify information independently and notify the Darul-Ifta of any discrepancies.
We reserve the right to edit, moderate or remove any content.
No Legal Authority
Fatawa provided on this website are not legal judgments but rather religious rulings. Legal matters should be addressed through appropriate legal channels.
By using this website, users agree to these terms and conditions.