• +27 11 413 2785/6



A man gave his wife Talaaq-e-Raj’ee. The wife was involved in drugs and in contact with drug dealers. Normally a woman spends her Iddat of Talaaq-e-Raj’ee in her husbands home. However, in this instance the husband fears harm from his wife.

Will it be correct for the husband to ask the wife to reside at her parents during the Iddat period and will he bear the responsibility of her food and maintenance? The husband will continue to reside in his matrimonial home with the children. (Also, the wife added something to the husbands tea which caused him to fall asleep).


In the enquired case, due to the circumstances, the husband’s one option would be to leave the matrimonial home with his children for the duration of his wife’s Iddat and return to the home after she departs from the home upon expiry of her Iddat. If this is not an option for the husband due to the difficulty of having to leave the home with the children, then due to necessity, the wife could be requested to spend her Iddat at her parent’s home, and as stated in the query the husband could then provide for her  maintenance during her Iddat period. 

The Fuqaha have written that when the wife’s life is in danger or she fears any form of harm (during her Iddat period) then she is permitted to leave her matrimonial (where she was supposed to have been serving her Iddat) and serve her Iddat at an alternate venue. Based on the above ruling, we conclude that the wife can be requested to leave the matrimonial home (and serve her Iddat at her parent’s home) particularly when she is vulnerable to external influences or/and she is a threat to the remaining members of her family.

قال في الْمُجْتَبَى وإذا وَجَبَ الِاعْتِدَادُ في مَنْزِلِ الزَّوْجِ فَلَا بَأْسَ بِأَنْ يَسْكُنَا في بَيْتٍ وَاحِدٍ إذَا كان عَدْلًا سَوَاءٌ كان الطَّلَاقُ رَجْعِيًّا أو بَائِنًا أو ثَلَاثًا وَالْأَفْضَلُ أَنْ يُحَالَ بَيْنَهُمَا في البينونة (البيتوتة) بِسِتْرٍ إلَّا أَنْ يَكُونَ الزَّوْجُ فَاسِقًا فَيُحَالَ بِامْرَأَةٍ ثِقَةٍ تَقْدِرُ على الْحَيْلُولَةِ بَيْنَهُمَا وَإِنْ تَعَذَّرَ فَلْتَخْرُجْ هِيَ وَتَعْتَدَّ في مَنْزِلٍ آخَرَ وَكَذَا لو ضَاقَ الْبَيْتُ وَإِنْ خَرَجَ هو كان أَوْلَى  (البحر الرائق – فصل في الاحداد)

( وتعتدان ) أي معتدة طلاق وموت ( في بيت وجبت فيه ) ولا يخرحان منه ( إلا أن تخرج أو يتهدم المنزل أو تخاف ) انهدامه أو ( تلف مالها أو لا تجد كراء البيت ) ونحو ذلك من الضرورات فتخرج لأقرب موضع إليه (الدر المحتار ص225 ج5)

عورت کو اس امر کا  شدید خوف ،وخطرہ ہوتو والدین  کے مکان میں منتقل ہوسکتی ہے  – آپ کے مسائل اور ان کا حل ص۷۰۸ ج۶  


Related Fatawa
Divorce Given In Anger

Question If you divorce your wife out of anger or u were angry at the time and divorced her does Read more

Living With The Ex-wife In One House

Question Kindly shed some light on the following matter because we were taught at madressa that a man and woman Read more

Arranged Halaalah

Question If a person gave his wife 3 Talaaq and wishes to return to his wife, can he arrange halaalah Read more

Remaining Married To A Christian Woman After Accepting Islam

Question A person accepts Islam. He is still living with his wife who is Christian. What is the Shar'ee ruling Read more

Wife Types A Letter Of Divorce In Presence Of The Husband Who Signs It Thereafter

Question Wife typed out a letter of divorce and both husband and wife signed this in front of each other. Read more

Darul Ifta - Darul Uloom Azaadville - Madrasah Arabia Islamia