What is the ruling on playing marbles for reals/ keeps gambling or not? For keeps ie if zaid and amr are playing and zaid hits amrs marble then he wins it.
The playing of marbles “for reals/keeps” falls under the category of gambling and also that of play/amusement. The definition of gambling is that both parties consent to the gain or loss of their wealth to the other party. Besides the fact that gambling is prohibited in Islaam, a few more aspects should be taken into consideration:
– There is no religious or physical benefit
– Time and money are wasted in these amusements,
– It makes a person negligent of the remembrance of Allah Ta’aala
– It hampers the mental progress of a child and not only does it distract him from beneficial education, but it creates a disinterest in him for the necessary aspects of life,
– Although the chances of it becoming habitual are minimal due to it phasing out after a certain age, the possibility of it growing into actual forms of gambling are greater. Therefore, in light of the above mentioned, playing marbles “for reals/keeps” will be impermissible.
Checked and Approved By:
Mufti Muhammed Saeed Motara Saheb D.B.
رد المحتار على الدر ج:6 ص:402: 404 (سعيد)
بدائع الصنائع ج:5 ص :127 (دار الكتب العلمية)